Thanh is a registered IP attorney and lawyer with extensive expertise and experience in prosecution and enforcement of IP rights. His practice spans many sectors of IP protection, including but not limited to working closely with companies to identify IP subject matters, conducting due diligence on IP rights, proposing IP protection strategies, drafting applications and prosecuting them to grant in IP offices worldwide, such as in particular, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, and initiating contentious proceedings in such jurisdictions.
Thanh has particular experience and interest in patent and industrial design issues, including conducting freedom to operate searches on a world-wide scale, providing patent, industrial design landscape reviews, due diligence opinions, advising on infringement and validity issues, implementing patent, industrial design strategies, and obtaining strong and defensive protection. He has a track record of advising clients on risk mitigation and dispute avoidance strategies, and assisting clients in structuring resolutions to high-value and complex disputes.
In addition, Thanh acts for companies large and small, public and private as well as their boards, audit committees, officers, directors and other individuals facing some of their most challenging legal issues in relation to investment, business and commerce transactions. He also provides ongoing advice on corporate, compliance and regulatory issues.
Prior to joining KENFOX as a partner, Thanh served as an adviser or a counselor for some top-tier IP law firms and multinational corporations.
Having significant experience in counseling on IP portfolios and numerous legal issues, Thanh has provided entities from different corners of the world with valuable advice which allows them to maximise their benefit. Thanh has been involved in a wide variety of the noteworthy cases and issues, to mention but a few:
» Thanh has advised, prosecuted and managed various patent and industrial design porfolios for a series of companies manufacturing and/or trading in electrical, electronic, pharmaceutical, healthcare, consumer products, telecommunications, information technology, automotive industries, and so forth:
• Ibranova Limited – a Cyprus provider of switching devices for underwater turbine;
• Imprenditore Pty Limited – an Australian private company providing intelligent power monitoring and signal transmitting and receiving devices, error and incident reporting apparatus and systems;
• LS Electric Co Ltd. (formerly LS Industrial Systems Co Ltd) – a Korea-based company principally engaged in the manufacture and sale of electrical products;
• Motor Development International S.A. (MDI) – a Luxembourg based company designing products in both mobility and energy storage using a compressed air engine;
• My Mobile Watch Limited – a Chinese manufacturer of wrist watch phones adapted to operate under Global System of Mobile (GSM) telephone networks;
• Nokia Corporation – a Finnish multinational telecommunications, information technology, and consumer electronics company;
• Panasonic Electric Works Co., Ltd. – a Japanese company specializing in the production of industrial devices;
• Polichem S.A. – a Luxembourg company provides a scientifically-proven broad range of products in dermatology, dermocosmetics, gynecology, and respiratory;
• Proteotech Inc.- a drug development company in the United States;
• Quarella S.P.A. – an Italian company, the world leader of composite stone materials;
• Seoul National University Industry Foundation – a key organization for research support and industry cooperation in South Korea;
•Young Fast Optoelectronics Co., Ltd. – an electrical/electronic manufacturing company based in Taiwan.
» Thanh has advised and defended the clients before such competent authorities as the Economic Police, the Market Administration Department, the People’s Courts, the Inspectorate of the Ministry of Science and Technology in legal actions against piracy, counterfeiting, and infringement of trademark rights, and in resolution of domain name disputes under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP):
• A.O.Smith Corporation;
• Apple Inc.;
• ARM Limited;
• Cathay Pacific Airways Limited;
• E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company;
• Google Inc.;
• Hershey Chocolate & Confectionery Corp.;
• H-D U.S.A., LLC (Harley-Davidson);
• Honda Motor Co., Ltd.;
• Intel Corporation;
• Koganei Corp.;
• Mann+Hummel Gmbh;
• Schaeffler Technologies GmbH & Co. KG;
• Shell Brands International AG;
• Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc.;
• The Coca-Cola Company;
• Under Armour, Inc.;
• United Parcel Service of America, Inc.;
• WM Wrigley Jr. Company;
• Wockhardt Limited.
» Thanh has negotiated and handled potential projects in various areas, such as auditing, banking, finance, employment, insurance, aviation, goods and service commercialisation, with the involvement of: